Wednesday, January 9, 2008

My first post

I like to think of myself as being technologically savvy, but in reality I am not. Since I am an english-creative writing major, I know how to use Microsoft Word well. I am in a co-ed fraternity that uses listserve to keep everyone informed, so I use that often. I also send my family and friends email, pay my bills online, and post on blackboard for class assignments. But other than that, I really don't know that much. I don't know how to create a website or use Microsoft Excel or Access at all. Basically, I know the minimum of what I need to know in my daily life.

I just hope to learn more about computers and technology overall in this class. Other students had great ideas to learn how to make things interesting for their students, and I would definitely like to learn that as well. I would like to make sure that if I do decide to become a teacher that I am an interesting and fun one, not a boring, lame one. :)

After taking the learning style questionnaire, I am not surprised about what I saw. I am an extreme visual learner. When I am taking a test, I visualize my notes in my head and can actually see where on the piece of paper my note is that answers the question I am looking for. I am also a detail-oriented person. I understand details before I understand the whole picture. After I get the whole picture, I see how all of the details fit together. I am an organized person and am almost O.C.D. about it, so this makes sense to me.

2 comments:

jgentile said...

Diana. Thats pretty impressive that you can visualize your notes. Think hard about becoming a teacher. Your ability to become an interesting teacher is only partially connected to your ability to use technology. Just dealing with students and thriving in that kind of classroom chemistry is also a big part of it. A fun classroom is HARDER to set up than a boring classroom, just like its harder two write a book that is BOTH entertaining and educational.

Valerie said...

Ha! I completely agree with your comment about being technology savvy. I like to think that of myself as well, but I know that in reality there are a ton of people in the world that are way more technologically advanced than I am. I am a cheerleader, so we all communicate by e-mail and everything too! I also e-mail a lot of my family because they live up north, and of course I post on Blackboard, and I check my bank accounts. For the most part, like you, I only know the kinds of things that I need to know for my daily life activities. I want to learn how to make topics interesting for students, and I find it funny that you say you don’t want to be a lame one! Ha, I don’t want to be a lame teacher either! I enjoyed reading your blog… good job!